[plug] Need help deciphering tcpdump

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Oct 17 17:58:26 WST 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 05:35:28PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
| >Okay.  So if it's normal, why am I seeing it repeated over and over with
| >apparently no data getting through to the program trying to receive it?
| >And if it's from a remote router, why is the origin IP address
| >(130.95.39.9)
| >mine?
|
| That would've been useful info in the original post...

Ahh.  Yes, in retrospect it would have... more about the perverted
network config I've got, below  :-/

| >It also looks as if it might be IP masquerading-related, as from the
| >gateway box everything seems to work, whereas from a machine behind it,
| >the connection seems to hang and the I see ICMP unreachable packets.
|
| Does the gateway box talk to the wider internet via PPPoE?

Yep.  Actually using the built-in PPPoE on a DLink DSL-300.  (I realise
this probably isn't optimal but it's worked 'til now.)

| Any chance of an 'ifconfig -a' on the gateway, and on the target host?

On the gateway "euclid": http://cp.yi.org/cameron/euclid-ifconfig.txt
The interesting interfaces are:
	eth0 - LAN
	eth1 - internet (Iinet ADSL)
	ppp0 - PPTP connection to UWA. (So James: yes, I'm using SNAP :-P)
	tun1 - vtun VPN (this is the interface with 1400 MTU)

(Uninteresting interfaces, for the record:
	gre0, sit0 - wouldn't have a clue, they don't look like they're
			doing anything though
	tap1, tap2 - UML machines
	lo - loopback.)

On the gateway at the other end of the vtun VPN ("plato"):
	http://cp.yi.org/cameron/plato-ifconfig.txt

Now just to make things ... interesting ... the machine having trouble
is on the LAN at plato's end of the VPN, with packets being routed over
tun1 to euclid, then over ppp0 to UWA.  Wheeee!

Cameron.