[plug] GDM hanging, leaving zombies

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Oct 20 16:46:30 WST 2003

>>but the kernel
>
> I'm worried he's going to experience a kernel panic if he tries to prod
> that process any further ;-)

Me too. I've got KDM running on a high port so I can tweak it to my
liking; I'll just kill -9 gdm and cut over to KDM this evening, then do
some testing.

Basically, trying to debug this goes into the "too hard" basket,
especially since it's an older version and the issue may have been
identified and fixed in newer versions for all I know. Upgrading won't
be practical due to the GNOME dependencies that GDM has, so I'll just
ditch it entirely.

Thanks for the ideas, though. It was always possible that this was a
"Oh, just increase /proc/sys/<BLAH>" problem.

Craig Ringer