[plug] [link] Open Source win in Mass. US

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Oct 21 10:39:12 WST 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Ben Jensz wrote:

> http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,7612098%5E15319%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html
>
>     THE US state of Massachusetts has instructed its chief technology
>     officer to adopt a policy of "open standards, open source" for all
>     future spending on information technology.
>
> Sounds like a win for open source, a bit too close to home for
> Microsoft's liking I presume...
>

> / Ben

There is a problem that I see with such policies. I believe that such a
policy, makes a site a "closed shop", which I think is as bad as being
exclusively MS, or any other company.

Whilst I support open source, I believe that enforced closed shops of
open source sites, will do more harm than good, to the open source
movement. The "free" part, I understood, was supposed to be about
freedom of choice. Closed shops do not have that luxury.

I believe that it would be far better, to have a simple policy, to
investigate all reasonable options, including open source, and select
the most appropriate solution for the circumstances, without bias.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."