[plug] [link] Open Source win in Mass. US

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Tue Oct 21 10:54:14 WST 2003

That sums up my thoughts on it as well.

Personally I'd like choice of vendors throughout upgrade paths and open
standards would facilitate that more effectively.  At work at the moment
we do use the Windows/Office package for our desktops and I don't see a
big move away from Windows on the cards for our next upgrade either (end
of next year our current computer lease runs out), but I'm very adamant
that I don't want to be using MS Office next, its more than likely going
to be Staroffice.  But I'm yet to find a cross-platform email client
system with some of the features that Outlook has (not the virus
attacking features though :P).

But from a business point of view, its all about using what is best for
the task you want to achieve.  Whether thats closed source or open
source it doesn't matter.

/ Ben