[plug] using CUPS & netatalk to do mac printer spooling

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Oct 21 16:00:52 WST 2003

> It seems that this indicates a problem with the file,
> i.e. the Postcript
> i.e. the Postscript interpreter.
> i.e. AdobePS

Just eliminated AdobePS. It also happens with the Apple LaserWriter 8
driver. I should also try Save-As-PostScript from Acrobat to see what
effect that has when dumped via CUPS using the mac.

I have found one interesting thing (inevitably) since posting that first
message:
http://cups.org/newsgroups.php?s92+gcups.bugs+v97
suggesting that at least some Adobe apps generate binary PostScript even
when told not to, and that CUPS has in the past had issues with binary
PostScript. It's supposed to be all fine in 1.1.19, which I'm using, but
I can't be sure. Again, though, GhostScript handles the PostScript fine
- presumably they can't be massively corrupt like you'd expect with
binary PS problems.

> so, do you have an earlier version of that around to try out?

Nope, but alternative software does have the same problem.

> Actually though, you should note this is unproven, and the entire
> problem chain you have sequenced (direct printing works, through cups doesn't)
> indicates that CUPS is the problem, however much we'd rather not believe it.

Yup. Frankly, despite it's advantages I find it very easy to belive that
CUPS is at fault, as I've encountered rather more bugs in it in the past
than I'd really expect.

On the other hand, there's the same problem when using the cups raw
driver (which should just send an unaltered of whatever the client sent
if I understand correctly), and GhostScript understands the files CUPS
delivers...

> One option is to set up an actual lpd server (rather than a cups one)
> and see what happens then.

I guess you're right. Yuck - there's a reason I use CUPS.

> I've personally (not that you want to hear this) had a lot more success with
> printing from Macs using M$ appletalk services. Maybe you can test with the NT
> box despite it's troubles, setting it up is usually not that hard?

User licenses are required even for printing, and the box really doesn't
have enough. It's also had spooler problems in the past. I can try it,
but it won't be practical for production use.

> Equally, you may not have a spare Mac, but the old Mac net print spooler
> worked pretty well in the past, might it be worth a try?

No spares, alas.

Craig Ringer