[plug] CIPE / VPN

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Oct 21 16:54:45 WST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Indeed. Personally, I think the real-world chances of an attack against
> a CIPE tunnel are rather low, unless perhaps the tunnel terminates at  a
> really juicy target like
> "remoteadmin.creditcardprocessing.bankwest.com.au" ;-)
>
> Nonetheless, I've used PPP over ssh because ssh tunnels are known to be
> pretty safe, the compression is useful, and because it's quite portable.

I used to use PPP over ssh also, but it is dog slow by comparison.. Cipe
is very lightweight and performs far better. Yes it is less secure, but
depending on how often you re-establish the tunnel and change the keys
it's really not a problem.

My ping times to Perth from up here are about 600ms. Actually now I
think about it, I was using ppp over ssh on WiFi as well (10ms ping) and
it was still dog slow. There are far softer targets than a cipe tunnel :p)

Brad