[plug] Open Source win in Mass. and best choices

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Oct 22 06:47:05 WST 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:54, Ben Jensz wrote:
> But from a business point of view, its all about using what is best
> for the task you want to achieve.  Whether thats closed source or
> open source it doesn't matter.

Look at it this way: this particular business (the Mass. gummint) has
decided that what's best for the vast majority of the tasks it wants to
achieve is Open Source, and has acted accordingly.

The actual proposal as I read it is for a preference towards open
source, and mandatory open standards. I foresee a lot of standards
becoming at least nominally open if any other siginificant
organisations follow suit.

Cheers; Leon