[plug] dd speed estimates and /dev/hdx grepping

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 22 19:38:20 WST 2003

>>Celeron 300 - 128MB RAM, two identical 40GB 7200RPM drives, booted with
>>Debian 3.0 CD, dropped to console and:
>>
>>dd if=/dev/hdd of=/dev/hda
>
> 1/ bus architectures?
> 2/ bus speeds?
> 3/ bus configurations?

On a 300MHz Celeron, unless it's really weird it'll have PC100 SDRAM, a
66MHz bus on the CPU, and 33MHz 32bit PCI ATA33 or ATA66 disk
controllers as onboard components connected to the southbridge. Chipset
is probably Intel 440BX or 440LX. So... how close am I?

I everything will be copied to memory then back to disk (wouldn't
point-to-point transfers be nice? It's possible with PCI Express - not
to be confused with PCI-X.), but DMA should at least make that
marginally more efficient than tying up the CPU and it's pathetic cache
for the job.

Craig Ringer