[plug] dd speed estimates and /dev/hdx grepping

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Oct 22 19:48:56 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 19:19, Craig Ringer and everyone else effectively
wrote:
> > On the another note, if one wanted to grep a filesystem image for stuff, can
> > one do that directly on a device or would it need to be dd'd into one or
> > many standard files first?  'grep -b blah /dev/hda'
>
> ... will work fine.

Okay, so that's a resounding - "what are you smoking Ryan?" :)  When i
briefly tried it I got some complaint about device not accessible or
some such - i just got started on the dd and assumed that kind of thing
was not possible.  Will try again with brain attached.

DMA was not specifically enabled, I overlooked that.  I didn't know what
to do with blocksize to achieve any benefits, so I left that as
default.  I'll have another bash tomorrow - the machine is at work, it
might be finished by tomorrow morning ;)

Thanks guys,

Ryan