[plug] dd speed estimates and /dev/hdx grepping

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Thu Oct 23 08:55:09 WST 2003

> So what are the ideal settings to use if one wishes to image one disk to
> another?
>
> From the looks of it I would be wise to perform the following:
>
> hdparm -d1 /dev/hdb
> hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
> dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/hdc bs=?
>
> This is where hda is my linux OS drive
> hdb is the source Win/Linux/Whatever drive (IDE0)
> hdc is the destination drive (IDE1)

Sorry to reply to a less related post in my thread, but I'm at work missing
some emails :)

The fact that I didn't have a spare drive with any Linux installation on it
to use to run hdparm etc. is why I just booted off the CD, dropped to
console and did it.  I used bf24 - if I passed ide0=dma ide1=dma to the
kernel would that have been enough?

BTW: when I rocked up this morning it was all finished and happy (as happy
as the drive could be given its current state).

Ryan