[plug] [OT] Security problems with NTFS

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 23 20:05:52 WST 2003

> I saw a mate of mine playing around with this "feature" several months
> ago. It's interesting but I couldn't for the life of me think of a
> practical application.

It's handy. One application for it is the storage of Macintosh resource
fork information in files. That way the resource fork moves with the
data fork, is deleted with the data fork, etc. Under most *nix AppleTalk
implementations the files must be MacBinary encoded (essentially
concatinating the res and data forks AFAIK) or the resource fork is
stored in another file. Neither of these is desireable - though the NTFS
approach also has it's drawbacks, especially when it comes to non-mac
network access (res fork info lost) and backup.

Craig Ringer