[plug] [OT] Security problems with NTFS

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 23 20:56:15 WST 2003

> I never thought I'd say it, but having a draindead set of valid filename
> characters looks like it has at least one positive consequence!

Heh... I guess so. BTW, in case it's of use to somebody else the
resource fork data is stored in the stream 'AFP_Resource'. It took far
too long to find that out - it was in MSDN of course, but the keywords
had to be /just right/.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;106663

A quick hack to copy a mac file to to a non-streams filesystem (sans
error checking and assuming the .AppleDouble dir already exists, and
totally untested) might work something like:

#!/bin/sh
cp $1 $2 && cp $1:AFP_Resource `dirname $X`/.AppleDouble/`basename $X`

If I'm lucky, and both NT and NetaTalk store the resoruce fork in raw
form, that might let me copy mac files from NT to NetaTalk. So far it
looks like they might, but I can't test for sure 'till I have access to
some macs at work tomorrow.

You have no idea how happy it makes be to be able to automate archival
of each week's (multi-gigabyte) ads & pages directory, as the users
inevitably leave it until the filesystem runs out of space. Then
complain to me. Thankfully the mail server and classified ads database
no longer live on that filesystem - that was MOST unfun when the FS ran
out of space. The mail server is in fact cyrus and sendmail on Linux now
:-).

I'll let you all know if it works as expected, since this should make
life MASSIVELY easier for anybody backing up mac data off NT systems to
linux. Wait... how many of those can there be?

This is also the incentive I needed to migrate to cpio from tar, since
it's easy to insert ':AFP_Resouce' entries for each file when the
archiver just reads filenames from stdin.

So - thanks Stephen for that link... just the info that the alternate
streams were accessible using "magic" filenames was enough to get me
going on this one.

Craig Ringer