[plug] Is there a way to put a job to sleep so it can survive a reboot?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 24 15:10:37 WST 2003

In message <1066975979.12149.8.camel at cbbcsc204a.murdoch.edu.au>
on Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 02:12:59PM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> This is a numerical job on an ~450000x450000x450000 matrix, and the
> software doesn't support checkpointing.
[...]
> help my problem anyhow - its the data in memory I need to store.

So at least it's not some sort of daemon process, then. Does it need a
GUI (hope not)? If it has limited input/output requirements, you might
be in luck with some of the tools that don't require recompilation. I've
even heard of checkpoint migration for "vi" as something that has been
done (though there's probably some trick to it), so presumably it would
be possible to save/restore compuational apps. Esp, perhaps, if it only
needs stdin and stdout. Not sure.

> vmware is one possibility (just sleep the vm between reboots), but there
> will be some overhead.  What I was hoping for is some shell that could
> do this natively without any overhead.

I think someone mentioned user-mode Linux. Would that make be possible?