[plug] internal vs external modules kernel support

Clare Johnstone clare at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sat Oct 25 09:48:22 WST 2003

Hi Russ,

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, russ wrote:

> I'm trying to get a pcmcia network card working and having some problems.  As I
> understand it, the 2.4 kernal has internal support for pcmcia and it is not
> compatible with the external modules.

I found quite a bit about this on pcmcia site - basically the pcmcia
package is being gradually modified to cooperate with the kernel.
On my machines, I use a package system which gets the source of pcmcia-cs
from sourceforge and compiles it using current kernel source.
It was still not totally straighforward, there are 3 possible chipsets for
the card in the kernel, not all machines need one of those though.
You might need to look for info on your particular laptop.
HTH,
clare