[plug] Mandrake 9.2 Fries LG CDROM Drives

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sun Oct 26 10:27:51 WST 2003

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:57, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:22, Kimberly Shelt wrote:
>> This seems to be a problem for those with DELL Laptops and
>> any others that have LG CDROM's - so please be aware of this

Including Compaq (now, I guess, Hewlett Pacquard).

> The problem is invoked by a packet-writing kernel patch which was
> present since 9.2RC1, combined with certain broken LG firmware
> versions.

In particular, the code sends a FLUSH_CACHE ATAPI command to CD drives
to make sure that packet-writing burner software operates properly. The
broken LG firmware interprets that standard ATAPI command to mean
UPDATE_FIRMWARE, and you can imagine the results. Mandrake kernels from
-21mdk will take care to not flush any LG readers.

> If you have a dead LG drive, warranty it ASAP.

If they want a specific problem, tell them that it died because the
firmware violated the ATAPI specification and gutted itself as a
consequence, and that "it's a known problem" (magic phrase, that).

Cheers; Leon