[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

sscott at iinet.net.au sscott at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 27 14:53:50 WST 2003

Debian lose because apt isnt standard. Nearly everyone uses RPM, and although
people can rabbit on ad nauseum about how much better APT is, it doesnt matter.

I do like Mandrake however. urpmi is pretty cool, and gets most stuff right.

In fact, Mandrake with urpmi setup for the install CDs, contrib, cooker, and
PLF is about the easiest install/upgrade experience Ive had to date.

I gave up on the RHN as just about every time I tried to use it the servers
were full. Besides, being primarily a gnome based distro, I lost interest
totally.

Does anyone use slackware anymore? I guess if you've just finally given up on
*BSD and are finally migrating to linux it may hold some appeal. To 99% of
people, its archaic. tgz is not a package management system :)

At the end of the day, it boils down to whether linux is a means to an end or
an end itself for you personally. Id rather do other things with my life than
recompile source or wait 4 years for an already outdated 'stable' package so
Mandrake is the one for me.