[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

sscott at iinet.net.au sscott at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 27 16:05:51 WST 2003

Quoting Brad Campbell <brad at wasp.net.au>:

> Actually, while I'm here..
>
> "Nearly everyone uses Windows, and although people can rabbit on ad
> nauseum about how much better Linux is, it doesnt matter."

And in the real world, mostly it doesnt. Its changing slowly, but I still
wouldnt install linux for my mum to use. I cant live without KDE 3 and
xinerama, but Im definitely in the minority. In the end, windows 98 works for
my mum, does everything she wants it to, and she knows how to use it. Why would
I want her to change?

> "We" strive to replace windows with linux..

where appropriate. Anything more would be blind zealotry.

> "I" strive to replace rpm with deb.
> Whats the difference?

Because a high proportion of linux vendors, and LSB, decided that RPM was the
way to go.

Get over it and get on with the job. At this point, further division is
destructive, reducing your ability to 'strive to replace windows with linux' or
whatever it is you do with linux.

If a client decides that windows will be used for whatever reason, do you stand
there and complain? Id hope you would make the best of it and 'strive' to make
windows do the job.

Again, it boils down to the 'means to an end or an end itself' thing.

Having said that, if you use debian as opposed to Mandrake or whatever, that
doesnt affect me one bit so in reality the argument is quite meaningless.