[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 10:49:55 WST 2003

In message <1067308263.3f9dd4e757395 at webmailtest.iinet.net.au>
on Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:31:03AM +0800, sscott at iinet.net.au wrote:
> 3rd party software (including open and proprietary) would have an easier time
> packaging and distributing their software.
[...]
> Is RPM really that bad technically? [If] so, it does an awefully good
> impression of 'working'.

But...what makes RPM the best choice as a common format for package
management? If I asked "is Deb closer to what is needed, and should RPM
features be integrated with Deb" OR "is RPM closer to what is needed,
and should Deb features be integrated with RPM", perhaps the answer is
"make Deb more like RPM, lose RPM". I honestly don't know the answer.