[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

sscott at iinet.net.au sscott at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 28 11:22:50 WST 2003

Quoting James Devenish <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au>:

> One further point of consideration: if package format [A] leads to
> better package management than [B], but [B] is more popular, is it
> better to standardise on [B] as a package format in combination with
> vendors' own package management systems, or would it be better to
> standardish both the package format *and* the package management by
> using [A]?

'better' is such a subjective term. In reality, the whole issue of a 'package
format' is so trivial its not really worth discussing, and any format with a
core set of basic features would probably suffice.

The way it was explained to me was that rpm and deb were very similar feature-
wise, but deb scored extra points because the dependencies are so strictly
managed within Debian as opposed to RedHat/Mandrake. This makes me think that
perhaps the 'problems' with rpm as a format are more procedural than technical?

Anyone a god of both formats and want to comment?