[plug] Update from Debian Woody to Sarge

Sol sol at autonomon.net
Tue Oct 28 12:05:10 WST 2003

laurie anderson wrote:

>                     ERROR
>
>    There was an error starting up the screensaver
>
>    failed to executer child process "xscreensaver"
>    (no such file or directory)
>
>    Screensaver functionality will not work in this session.

The first point I would make is that this is not a major problem. It
just means that you won't have any pretty screensavers and only have a
black screen when the screen saver turns itself on. If you really can't
live with this I would recommend reinstalling it. Possibly there were
some dependency issues that didn't get resolved during the upgrade. I
haven't used Debian on the desktop for a while, but I do recall doing
dist-upgrades and having difficulties with dependency issues. Another
PLUGer (Andrew F) recommended to me that I use the dselect interface to
do a dist-upgrade. I tried this method and I found it more reliable
because it picked up which packages didn't install the first time
because dependencies weren't resolved. dselect told me which packages
had not been upgraded and gave me the option to install them. Using this
method takes longer, but I consider it to be more thorough and safer. If
you haven't tried using dselect, I recommend trying it out. I've also
heard of a new package called Synaptic which is a graphical application
which is more intuitive than dselect which I'm led to believe is very
good. I'm not sure if this package is in Sarge though. I'm sure some of
the Debianites can help you out with dselect or Synaptic.

HTH; sol