[plug] Mandrake (+SuSE +Microsoft) Bug announce warning rant ahead

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Oct 28 15:07:10 WST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:25, James Devenish wrote:
> From what I read on Mandrake's site (well, at least I *thought* it
> was Mandrake's site), the act of installing Mandrake was enough to
> affect the drive. I wasn't aware that installing Windows would have
> that effect.

Burning CDs on Windows can have that effect.

> I don't know SUSE's role at all

The kernel patch in question was apparently made by SuSE - but probably
not industrial espionage. (-:

I am told that some of the less popular SuSE distributions (Enterprise?)
also kill LG drives because of the patch, but it hadn't been noticed
there because very few serious computer users buy bottom-of-the-heap
hardware.

Cheers; Leon