[plug] Kernel logs

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 15:44:02 WST 2003

Hi,

One thing I don't like so much about the Linux kernel is its scant
reporting of "problems". However, I realise this is probably just
because its defaults aren't quite to my personal preferences. Does
anyone know how to turn on the following, and how I might best search
for this information in future?

(1) Logging of killed processes (e.g. when kernel kills processes due
    to resource limitations).

(2) Logging of Ethernet link information.

I suppose (2) would be driver-dependent, but is there some convention
regarding this?

Also: what happens to log entries that have been generated but not
written to disk (hypothetically: they would appear in the dmesg but
not in /var/log). Are they saved in memory so that they appear after
reboot, or are they lost?