[plug] Kernel logs

Tony Breeds magni at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Oct 28 16:03:21 WST 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 03:44:02PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One thing I don't like so much about the Linux kernel is its scant
> reporting of "problems". However, I realise this is probably just
> because its defaults aren't quite to my personal preferences. Does
> anyone know how to turn on the following, and how I might best search
> for this information in future?

In short YMMV for everything before 2.8.0  These type of things are
highly desireable for enterprise customers and there are a number of
patches out there that give you all the details you need.

> (1) Logging of killed processes (e.g. when kernel kills processes due
>     to resource limitations).

proccesses killed by the kernel in tight memory situations are "OOM
killed"  you should be able to grep /var/log for it (the eaxt file
varies from distro to distro)

> (2) Logging of Ethernet link information.

wireless cards do this, wired cards that support ethertool can do this
in a std way but the userspace tolls are yet to catch up.

> I suppose (2) would be driver-dependent, but is there some convention
> regarding this?
>
> Also: what happens to log entries that have been generated but not
> written to disk (hypothetically: they would appear in the dmesg but
> not in /var/log). Are they saved in memory so that they appear after
> reboot, or are they lost?

They're lost, again this is somethig that enterprose wants in 2.8

Yours Tony

        Linux.Conf.AU       http://conf.linux.org.au/
        Jan 12-17 2004      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!