[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at globaldial.com
Tue Oct 28 17:24:15 WST 2003

On 28/10/03 16:56, "Cameron Patrick" <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:

> | The idea of non-interactive postinst scripts is great when you are
> | dealing with "zero installation" consumers, but doesn't translate
> | well to sysadmins.
>
> (Perhaps that sentence could have ended at "great"?  The zillions of
> debconf messages---and worse, random interactive prompts from
> non-debconf-using packages---is one of the more annoying 'features' of
> Debian.)

Apart from trolling at the beginning of this thread, I have tried to stay
out of it as I find the whole debate boring. However having said that I love
the postinst scripts available in deb packages as they save a lot of effort
later on. Take debians ALSA install (which I gave design input for a while
ago ;) which pops up a nice debconf script for the user to select their
soundcards, once this is done and the user has added themselves to the audio
group, adjusted sound levels and logged back in...they have a perfectly
working ALSA config...Gone are the days of having to create the configs by
hand and I for one couldn't ask for more ;)

Adam.