[plug] Internet connecting

Ben New benplug at leftclick.com.au
Tue Oct 28 17:58:58 WST 2003

Steve,

It sounds like you have not configured your nameserver correctly.  Try
doing "ping www.google.com.au" and then "ping 216.239.57.99".  If the
first one gives error messages  but the second one works, then this is
definitely the case.

You could edit /etc/resolv.conf but there's probably an easier way to do
this in Debian (?deb experts?)  To edit /etc/resolv.conf, just add a
line like this for each nameserver you want to use (primary goes at the
top):
nameserver <ip-address-of-name-server>
(You'll need to be root to save the file)

I'd say there's nothing wrong with your dialer or your apt-get, just the
nameserver ;-)

Ben

Ben @ Leftclick
http://www.leftclick.com.au/