[plug] Scripting Gimp

Ben New benplug at leftclick.com.au
Tue Oct 28 23:20:01 WST 2003

Leon Brooks wrote:
> Yes, but why not use ImageMagick for that?
>
> mkdir lowres
> for i in *.jpg; do
>     convert -size 320x200 -quality 55 $i lowres/$i;
> done
>
> Or Konqueror? (-: Ctrl-I or Tools/Create Image Gallery.
>
> Cheers; Leon

I've only just discovered the ImageMagick convert utility since I read
about it here... I was wondering the same thing as the original poster.

Anyway running the above creates output images that are not 320x200 in
size... (They are 512x384).  Changing the -size to -resize does, but it
runs really slowly.  Using both -size and -resize seems to work faster
and give the right sized output:

convert -size 320x200 -resize 320x200 -quality 70 input.jpg output.jpg

Looking at the man page it says the -size option is some sort of hint?
But when you give it the hint it goes and resizes to the wrong size?
Anyway this looks like the greatest thing ever - can't believe I haven't
been using it all this time!

BTW, my Konqueror (3.1.0) doesn't have Create Image Gallery...?

Ben

--
Ben @ Leftclick
http://www.leftclick.com.au/