[plug] Call me crazy...

Willhart - Lawrie Abbott labbott at bytepowergroup.com
Wed Oct 29 11:23:20 WST 2003

Adam Hewitt wrote:

>But does anyone with any significant electronics knowledge know if it would
>be possible to somehow connect a kettle to a serial port on a PC so that you
>could boil the kettle from your desktop and get some type of reading to tell
>you when its boiled??

It is difficult because a kettle has a 3 pin connection whereas  your
serial port has 9 or 25 ;)

Seriously tho, there are a million ways to remote control/monitor things
... depending on how critical it is and how much you want to spend.
X10 devices looked good a few years ago when I was looking at this
stuff. Maybe a visit to Linux home automation might give you some ideas.
http://linuxha.sourceforge.net/

Cheers
Lawrie Abbott