[plug] Call me crazy...

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 29 11:37:02 WST 2003

At 10:37 29/10/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>In message <BBC5435B.2451%ahewitt at globaldial.com>
>on Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 10:13:47AM +0800, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> > But does anyone with any significant electronics knowledge know if it would
> > be possible to somehow connect a kettle to a serial port on a PC

Okay, I'll bite...   I should probably prefix this with "Don't try this at
home!" and other suitably legal-sounding warnings :-)  If serious about
this, we ARE talking mains power here and that stuff Bites Real Good (tm).

First thought I had was to wire up an optically-isolated gated triac in
series with the mains active lead to the kettle.   This will provide the
mains switching capability.  Opto-isolated gated triacs with sufficiently
sensitive control and rated for a kettle's 10-odd amps should be available
from the likes of Farnell or RS Components.   You should be able to get
enough current from the serial port output control line (DSR, RTS - I
forget which) to trigger the triac directly.   Failing that you would need
to have some form of contactor (or suitably mains-rated relay) controlled
by a transistor switch and fed from a suitable power source.   Any
contactor worth its name is unlikely to be powerable from the meagre output
of a serial port control line.

To determine when the kettle has boiled, I would just do a crude current
measurement trick - current flow = not yet boiled, no current flow = has
boiled.   Assuming that you have an auto-cutout style kettle, I would wind
a turn or two of the neutral lead to the kettle through a ferrite core,
forming the primary of a current transformer.[1]   Wind some tens of turns
of insulated copper wire around the same core, forming the secondary
winding of the transformer and feed that to an op-amp configured as a
Schmidt trigger.   When current flows to the kettle, the Schmidt trigger
will have an output that could be read by one of the serial port's sensing
control lines, CD for example.   There should be an integrator in the
Schmidt output so that the 50 (100?) Hz ripple will not be problem for
sensing.   When boiled and the kettle cutout has tripped, no more current
flow = no more Schmidt output = "she's boiled, mate!"

The control and sensing electronics would need to be enclosed in a suitable
IP65- or IP66-rated enclosure to protect it from moisture - after all we
ARE talking about a kettle here :-)   Because this is involving mains
power, a qualified electrician would be needed to at least give a final nod
of approval, if not to construct it, otherwise the long arm of the law
might get displeased if lives were damaged by such a gadget.   Not to
mention the paperwork :-)

Hope this helps,
Denis

[1] Putting the current transformer in the neutral lead minimises the risk
from damaged insulation on the active lead creating a hazardous
situation.   Otherwise, technically, there is no reason why the active lead
could not be used instead.