[plug] Kernel logs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 29 13:31:16 WST 2003

>>I think there are patches out there to do both network and
>>swap crash dumps, though.
>
> I hope you don't possibly mean that the kernel would come without disk
> dumps, because not all networks (if you have a network) are going to
> support network dumps, aren't they?? E.g. there's an old BSD netdump
> hack and if it fails, the default mechanism (disk device) is used.

What I meant was that there are separate patches to enable either style
of crash dump. One patch to give the system the ability to dump the core
over a network, another to dump the core to swap where it can be
recovered after reboot. Currently AFAIK neither have been merged into
the main kernel nor are there signs of that happening, but it looks like
network crash dumps are /more/ likely to get integrated.

Craig Ringer