[plug] Debian .vs. Gentoo

Weirdo linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Wed Oct 29 16:51:05 WST 2003

I don't want to start a flame war, I am looking for advice.
I am currently using Debian 3.0r1 (i386) (7cd set of r0 and 1cd set of r1)
I like apt-get and the amount of packages available on the net and cd.
I dislike the fact that it is optimised for a 386 and above.
I dislike the fact that it is out of date by nearly a year. (I burnt the 7
cd set when it came out)
I have looked at Gentoo and like the idea of optimised for each machine and
the fact that it keeps uptodate better than Debian.
I am wondering what its package management system is like. i.e. can i just
get any src tar ball and start compiling? Will it resolve dependences easily?
Also I am on a limited Internet connection (till I get more work) so I
can't really on it for packages. What packages are available on the cds? If
their is a Debian package on one of the Debian disks how hard is it to
convert (binary) and install on Gentoo?

I really am looking for advice to choosing between Debian and Gentoo on a
686 on a limited Internet connection. It needs to be poweruser enabled and
easy package management. Is their a 686 debian cd set?
I am looking for advice. Please keep flames to yourself. Also I know I can
get reviews off the net but I want personal and local opinions/experiances.
A bit of info about the Gentoo installer would also be nice, hardware
detection, preferred bootloader, speed. I would probably start with a
precompiled stage 3.
Thanks
Tim
p.s. This is a chance for Debian users to convince me to stay and Gentoo
users to try and persuade me to convert WITHOUT flaming ;)

weirdo AT linuxalien DOT tk
Dot TK ambassador #24084 - For a free .tk domain please contact me

ICQ# 255176389
MSN weirdo AT linuxalien DOT tk

Riverton, Perth, WA