[plug] Debian .vs. Gentoo

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Oct 29 18:55:32 WST 2003

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 16:51, Weirdo wrote:

> p.s. This is a chance for Debian users to convince me to stay and Gentoo
> users to try and persuade me to convert WITHOUT flaming ;)

I'm a Debian user. I haven't had the time (or patience) to try Gentoo, so this
will obviously be rather biased. ^_^

You can survive with Debian Stable reasonably well, if you don't mind most
things being old and stable. For those where you MUST have the latest, you
can usually grab third-party packages, also available through apt-get if you
add the right source line in /etc/apt/sources.list. Go to:
   http://www.apt-get.org/
...and search for what bleeding edge app you want.

Alternatively, you don't have to stick with Stable. My main workstation I now
run Testing, which is considerably more up to date than Stable. For those
apps which haven't hit Testing, I selectively install from Unstable, or again
consult www.apt-get.org. Or build from source. ^_^

On the whole "optimised for 686" front, I haven't had a huge amount of
experience. I've read that for most things it makes little difference. You
COULD always compile Debian packages yourself. Again, you can do this with
the apt tools. I use a wrapper called "feta" which wraps around apt-get,
apt-cache, dpkg, etc... To custom-build a package you just go:
   feta build <packagename>
... and it takes care of build dependencies too.

Debian is fairly rigid, and even the biggest fans of Debian can get frustrated
at how strong the dependencies can be at times, but you can work within the
structure for most things. ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |