[plug] Debian .vs. Gentoo

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed Oct 29 20:54:19 WST 2003

Cameron Patrick wrote:

> For me, I find the reverse to be true.  My gateway at home has been
> running essentially the same Debian system since it was first installed
> about two years ago - before Woody was released.  It has been constantly
> upgraded since then, both hardware and software wise, and is still
> running fine.  There's an ungodly mess in /usr/local and /etc - but
> that's my doing, not the distribution's :-)
>
> My foray into Gentoo, on the other hand, lasted about a month or two
> before I gave up.

I'm probably pretty biased as I have *never* used any distro other than
Debian and an embeded one I built from scratch.
My daily-driver laptop has not been re-installed in probably 5 years. I
just keep copying the contents onto new machines as I upgrade.
I have run into the odd dependency problem with Debian, but never while
running the stable distro, and nothing that could not be undone with a
simple dpkg --remove. My /usr/local sometimes get crufted up and I
simply backup what I need, blow it away and restore the backup. Thats
only becuase sometimes I do silly things with various bits of source and
let it run roughshod over my /usr/local. Nothing that can't be easily fixed.
This afternoon after my last tangle with Evolution before I went the uml
route, I was seriously thinking of doing a re-format/re-install but
sanity kicked in before I did. I simply fired up dselect and removed all
the packages I thought I did not need anymore, then ran apt-get remove
`deborphan` a couple of times to clean out the rest of the crap..
Easy, problems solved and another re-install/re-boot avoided :p)

Brad