[plug] Zeroing blocks on ext2/3

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Oct 29 21:38:51 WST 2003

On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 05:25:39PM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:

| Backing up partitions I use partimage, which only copies the used
| blocks. Backing up these uml images is a bit harder as they are a
| filesystem in a file and thus I cant get to them with partimage.
| To gzip the file for backing it up it would be advantageous to zero all
| the unused blocks..
|
| Anyone?

No idea about the zeroing, but can you run partimage from inside the UML
and point it at /dev/ubd0 and get it to spit it out either via the
network or hostfs?

(Incidentally, has anyone else noticed that using rootstrap to create a
UML filesystem ends up with /dev/ubdX where X != 0 having incorrect
minor numbers?  I found that what the kernel thought was ubd1 was in
fact /dev/ubd16 on the devices that rootstrap created...)

Cameron.