[plug] moving mailman archives off the main partition?

Pabs pabs at perthimc.asn.au
Wed Oct 29 22:03:21 WST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Quintin Lette wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:16 pm, Pabs wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience with moving mailman archives between
> > partitions? We need to free up some space cause the one they are on keeps
> > filling up, and losing messages ):
> >
> > I'm thinking the following sequence should do the trick. Any comments?
> >
> If it was me I would be more inclined to mount the filesystem at that point
> ie:
>
> init 1
> mv /var/lib/mailman/archives/ /mnt/hdb1/
> umount /mnt/hdb1 ; mount -t {fs type} /dev/hdb1 /var/lib/mailman/archives
> init 5

Unfortunately that is not an option cause /home and /var/www are on hdb1
too. Perhaps the 'mount --bind' thing that Bernard mentioned would be the
best way to do this. Anyone know if such things can be added to /etc/fstab
so the mounting would be done on reboot (not that the server needs
rebooting all that often - 184 day uptime atm)?

> as symlinks don't work very well for somethings but that is just my opinion
> and I'm sure other people will beg to differ.

Hmm, anyone else like to comment?

Bye,
Pabs