[plug] Zeroing blocks on ext2/3

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Oct 30 14:51:12 WST 2003

Trevor Phillips wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Brad Campbell wrote:
>
>>Does anyone have any leads on how to zero unused blocks on an ext2
>>filesystem?
>

> Are you trying to do something more complicated than I think you're doing, or
> is something like this what you want?
>
>   dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/part/foo
>   rm /mnt/part/foo

Nope.. obviously trying to do things the hard way :p)
cd /tmp ; cat /dev/zero > tmpzero ; sync ; rm tmpzero
Does the job nicely from within the VM.
Thanks for all the replys, I obviously have too much time on my hands.

On another UML related note, installing the skas patch on the host
speeds up the uml session something wicked..

This machine is becoming VM city.. I use uml with debian woody for
evolution, BasiliskII for M68k Mac emulation, win4lin to run win95 so I
can run the freeware ida-pro and Borland Delphi, Dosemu running some
control software and Crossover Office for Word 97.
Plus OpenOffice and the Gimp..
BasiliskII is the only VM that gets shut down when it's not being used
as it hogs 100% cpu all the time. The rest are up whenever the machine
is on.

Plus it never gets shut down, I just suspend it with swsusp.

Brad