USB+SCSI (was> Re: [plug] knoppix3.2)

Tony Breeds magni at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Oct 30 20:38:36 WST 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:32:31PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <20031030122621.GK644 at spark.plug.linux.org.au>
> on Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:26:22PM +0800, Tony Breeds wrote:
> > USB emulates SCSI so they end up in the scsi majors.  If you already
> > have sda then the first USB device will be sdb
>
> Oops, okay, thanks. A Google search for "usb scsi" turned up "SCSI
> Takes On USB" and "USB to SCSI Converters" -- you mean the USB spec
> actually includes SCSI commands (SCSI 2? 3?). Oh well...it doesn't
> matter to me...I don't have any USB devices to attach.

Ther are 2 USB storage specs neither is true scsi but the kernel acts as
a translator so that it's nice and consistant.

It didn;t matter to me either until I needed to images from LCA2003 from
Leons camera ;P

Yours Tony

        Linux.Conf.AU       http://conf.linux.org.au/
        Jan 12-17 2004      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!