[plug] IDE-TAPE

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Sep 1 19:30:55 WST 2003

> No, but thanks any way.
>
> Any other takers?

In dmesg, what /does/ it say for the disk device?

dmesg | egrep '(hd|ide)'

It should be listing all disk devices it can see like this:
   hda: WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0, ATA DISK drive
   hdb: Maxtor 6Y120P0, ATA DISK drive
   hdc: SONY DVD-ROM DDU1611, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
   hdd: LITE-ON LTR-48246S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
irrespective ( I think ) of what driver it's using for them. Does it
just not list your tape drive /at all/ ? What about when it prints out
info on the IDE controllers:
   ide0: BM-DMA at 0xfc00-0xfc07, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
   ide1: BM-DMA at 0xfc08-0xfc0f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
does it show DMA mode (usually indicating a present drive, these days)?

If you run
   hdparm -adcu /dev/hdc
does it print out any settings, such as readahead etc? I/O errors are
normal on some attributes if not supported by the hardware, but I'd
expect to get a response at least on DMA, 32-bit I/O, and unmasked IRQ.

I find it interesting that you mention that the BIOS does show it. It's
awfully strange to have /nothing/ show up in dmesg in that case.

When you used ide-scsi, I presume you (a) loaded the ide-scsi module as
well as the st and sg (sometimes needed) modules, and (b) were accessing
it as /dev/st0 not /dev/mt0 ?

Yes, this is obvious question town, but I'm digging for ideas here.

Craig Ringer