[plug] undelete files in ext3 file system

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 2 12:34:23 WST 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Jon  Miller wrote:

> Need to find out how to undelete files on a RHL7.3 server using the
ext3 file system.

> Thanks

Hello Jon.

Well you probably don't want to hear "restore from backup" so  think I'd
point you to the undelete howto that I've seen referenced here in the
past.   That, plus strong coffee and / or alcoholic beverages.

I don't think there'd be much difference between ext2 and ext3 as regards
recovery, other than the ext3 part makes the changes more secure (writes -
and by extension deletes? - would be commited to the file system in a
guaranteed fashion.)

Cheers,
Denis