[plug] Network filesystem recommendations?

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Tue Sep 2 17:43:03 WST 2003

Simon,

I'm no real expert but I had this same issue a while ago...

As I recently found out, samba is no good for sharing the home partition
because it doesn't support all the options of unixish filesystems, i.e.
special files, file permissions, etc etc.  The home path is used to
store things like pipes which means it just doesn't work if you try to
mount /home/user with smbfs (believe me, I tried ;-))

Since I implemented exactly what you're talking about with NFS, I've had
zero problems.  Just add an entry in /etc/exports for each person's home
path and keep the passwords in synch on all the boxes (unless you use a
remote login as well of course).

Regards,
Ben