[plug] IDE-TAPE

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 3 16:51:56 WST 2003

Onno, have a look at the interrupts and how they are allocated.  I have
had a MB failure and fitted a new MSI ultra4 which is being recalcitrant
with its cdrom.  /dev/hda has dissappeared (a sil680 winraid being used
as ide only for the cdrw), linux softraid is running (v. fast) on the MB
ide ports  Burning a cd as TAO works, but the clock loses time, and the
network (ppp over modem) slows to a crawl (indication of irq trouble),
and DAO invariably fails.  Note that I had to compile some ide chip
stuff into the kernel before it would even see the 680 ide interface at
all.

It seems that a number of interrupts may have piled up on each other, so
tonight I will be investigating the kernel apic stuff, and possibly
manually allocating interrupts.  Also there is plugnpray bios stuff that
may need turning on, rather than the normal off for this MB.  So many
options, so little time and so many reboots ...

Some of your symptoms seem hauntingly similar to mine with ide-scsi ...

BillK