[plug] CUE/BIN vs ISO

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 3 17:22:20 WST 2003

In message <200309031715.10517.derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk>
on Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 05:15:10PM +0800, Derek Fountain wrote:
> dd if=/dev/hdc of=image bs=2048
>
> what is the 'image' file? It'll be mountable with "-t iso9660" which implies
> it's an ISO. In reality it's a binary copy of ... what? I'd assumed the
> entire surface of the CD, but now I'm inclined to think that's not right.

(Warning: I don't know much about Linux so I'm just going to say
generic UNIX stuff here -- I'm sure someone will give you the Linux
answer)...

If /dev/hfc is the block device for your CD-ROM drive, then you will be
making a binary image of the CD (this is what you assumed and I think
you were correct). If the CD happens to contains a single ISO filesystem
that starts at the first byte on the CD, then dd has given you an ISO
image (coincidence). On the other hand, if your CD contains multipe
filesystems then you'd want to use dd with if=/dev/hdc1 and if=/dev/hdc2
to get two separate ISO filesystems.