[plug] CUE/BIN vs ISO

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 17:41:10 WST 2003

> If /dev/hfc is the block device for your CD-ROM drive, then you will be
> making a binary image of the CD (this is what you assumed and I think
> you were correct). If the CD happens to contains a single ISO filesystem
> that starts at the first byte on the CD, then dd has given you an ISO
> image (coincidence). On the other hand, if your CD contains multipe
> filesystems then you'd want to use dd with if=/dev/hdc1 and if=/dev/hdc2
> to get two separate ISO filesystems.

So the link you gave earlier, which I'd read before and just served to confuse
me, suggests that CD copy programs like Nero actually do the equivalent of
mounting the disk and copying the files it can see. It'll miss off audio data
if it happens to be there.

A CUE/BIN generator actually takes audio with it, like a 'dd' would.

What puzzles me is why CUE/BIN is necessary. It sounds like a complex way of
doing something very simple - just copying the binary image on the media.

--
> eatapple
core dump