[plug] Wireless Internet access in Perth CBD?

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Wed Sep 3 20:19:41 WST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Pickett" <bp at broomeTime.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:20:12 +0800
To: <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
Subject: RE: [plug] Wireless Internet access in Perth CBD?

> Then you need a donated laptop or hardware of some sort with wireless.  I
> know some folks who have had their daughter in and out of that ward for a
> few years now so I can understand the hygiene factor and the
> "political/beauracratic" barriers as well.

I had productive discussions with staff who were in a position to help make this happen while I was inside.  We discussed portability of equipment (small computer trays on rollers...I'm a bit out of it so use your imagination *grin*), the number of terminals likely to be considered acceptable for this (no more than four due to space constraints on the ward and such), and hygeine issues (patients could purchase a cheap new mouse/keyboard or bring their own from home; external dust filters may be required but probably won't be as none of the other electronics such as TV, radio, fridge have dust filters).

> I am going to mention this to a friend of mine who is associated with a
> large Real Estate group -- maybe he can run it past their marketing mob for
> discussion.

Thanks :-)

> I know this will be one of those longer term type solution but considering
> the location this would have to be thought through with the help of all the
> hospital folk too.

I'm getting in touch with an IT manager there via snail mail (I'm pretty sure they're completely windows based there, as a week or two ago they had some major problems with their systems due to worm infection).