[plug] Looks like the Internet just Exploded

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Sep 4 08:54:16 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 08:48, Derek Fountain wrote:
> On Thursday 04 September 2003 04:51, Onno Benschop wrote:
> > Hiya,
> >
> > About 15 minutes ago - around 4:40am WST - everything just stopped. As
> > in, very slow connectivity to some Australian sites, no connection to
> > anything off shore...
> >
> > Any other experiences?
>
> I had a power cut at about that time. Came back on around 5:30am. Maybe the
> powercut wasn't a local thing to my area, but actually hit more of the city?

Except that I'm in Kununurra, my satellite ground station is in Belrose
(NSW) and most of Oz seemed to work (very slowly), the rest of the world
ceased to exist.

Should point out that it's all back now - perhaps someone kicked out a
power cable on one of the ocean trunks :-)

Which brings me to another - related - question.

What do people use as a map to see what's happening in terms of outages
outside their immediate ISP. I have been using Telstra's broadband
outage notification, but now that it's "user friendly" with green,
orange and red, it's next-to useless.

Any other places people go for network status?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..