[plug] linux.conf.au 2004 - how do I get to Adelaide cheap

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Sep 4 09:57:36 WST 2003

Onno Benschop wrote:

>You can drive, cycle or walk, it's only 2651 km.

Thats not that far at all really (well when you live in Broome its not
that far anyway), Perth is just over 2200km via the inland road and
about 2400km via the coastal road.

>If you drive, then your car could do about 700km with a tank (if you
>drive at 90-100km/h) - that would be 4 tanks, or around $230 each way.

2 long days driving (only in daylight) with a couple of drivers changing
every couple of hours you could probably do it in (or a nice casual 3
days driving).  I'd say you'd probably do around 10-11L per 100kms if
you're driving a large car such as a Commodore and have 3-4 people with
baggage.  Thats what my VS Series II Commodore (Ecotec V6) did roughly
on the drive back from Perth last time with two people and a boot full
of gear.  Thats with air conditioning running and sitting on around
110km/hr with cruise control :).

Thats also a pretty cheap estimate for the fuel cost.  As soon as you
get outside of Perth you'll be paying well over $1 / Litre.  When fuel
prices were just over $1/L here in Broome I encountered prices between
here and Perth of up to $1.20/L (Payne's Find was the most expensive,
only just beating Sandfire though) so I'd guess that you'd find similar
prices going across the Nullabor if not higher.  Currently our fuel
price here is $1.10.9  :o( (and thats not for premium either).

So depending on the fuel price on the way, you may be looking at up to
$300-350 each way.

/ Ben