[plug] Religious debate - editor wars

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Thu Sep 4 10:55:58 WST 2003

Does anybody who has used it, think it is worth the price? +- US$200?

You can buy a *l-o-o-o-t* of copies of vi for that price, even if you burn
each one to its own DVD.   :)

Thanks
RichardM

                      indy at THE-TECH.MIT
                      .EDU                     To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                                               cc:
                      04/09/2003 10:48         Subject:  Re: [plug] Religious debate - editor wars
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

I've only used slickedit a little, a long time ago.
Back then it was projecting to be more of a development tool
than merely an editor. (I guess most editors do, but since I
write more prose than code, I try to make the distinction.)
Looking at the fancy web pages, I'd say it's reached it's goals
of back then.

Editor ---> Code tool -> IDE
        \
         --> Prose tool > (Integrated writing environment?)

seems to be how it is and slickedit is in the code tool middle there.

If you code a lot in a language it has features for, it's probably
worth a try.

I'd be curious if anyone has a favourite mouse centric editor,
as so far I haven't found one for Linux that I'm happy with.

Indy

--
Indranath Neogy
<indy at the-tech.mit.edu>