[plug] Religious debate - editor wars

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Thu Sep 4 15:06:22 WST 2003

I agree wholeheartedly. I use jedit for editing everything - C(++),
Java, (X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript, shell scripts, XML, SQL, Perl.......

The syntax highlighting supports all of the above just from the standard
download. (One caveat - CSS2 selectors/declarations like
"position:absolute;" are not highlighted out-of-the-box, I'm assuming it
only has CSS1 implemented by default).

And... yes you get the source code and you can get the Java SDK source
code and it's all free. Jedit itself is released under the gnu-gpl.
Could you want more???

One question - why the "but" before saying its written in java? That
should be changed to "and as an added bonus... (because you can use the
same tool in winblows and linux and macos and amiga any other platform
which has a port of java available)..."

I've seen a couple of anti-java sentiments in here and was wondering
where this is coming from? Let me guess, something about Suncorp being
analagous to M$ as a corporation?

Ben

P.S. Sorry if everyone else is over this thread already... i was out
until just recently and as you can see it is a bit of a religious thing
for me :-)