[plug] Religious debate - editor wars

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Sep 4 15:39:11 WST 2003

>>I've seen a couple of anti-java sentiments in here and was wondering
>>where this is coming from? Let me guess, something about Suncorp being
>>analagous to M$ as a corporation?

> [snip] But I'm more
> annoyed with declining performance.

Hmm... I just had some good results compiling a java utility (bytecode
only, no source available) to native code gcj, and the performance
improvement was pretty shocking. I know it's not a complete or really
acceptable solution for most applications (especially given the lack of
swing and AWT support in gcj) but it's handy at times.

Craig Ringer