[plug] benefits of SMP on an LTSP server

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Sep 4 17:36:38 WST 2003

Hi folks

I've just run into something today that I think is worth mentioning,
given that there's been the odd bit of discussion about terminal servers
and such here.

Our dual Xeon LTSP server (it serves the boot images, NFS root, and
displays) was running at a load average of between 1.2 and 1.5 for most
of today - unusually high. I didn't even notice until the later
afternoon, since I (for once) wasn't running gkrellm. A user process had
gone runaway, attempting to start another process - resulting in about
200 forks/second and totally maxing out one CPU. I was able to quietly
kill it after the users had finished for the day. It promptly dropped
back to it's usual 0.1 (it doesn't go above 0.2 much even when all users
are quite active and there's a fair bit of mail flowing).

I would've had to leap to the rescue if this was a single processor box
(trust me - I had to do it a few times on the 1.5GHz Athlon we used
during testing)... which would've sucked if I wasn't here at the time.

The point is that if you're building any server for LTSP, no matter how
small the user base, I think you're likely to benefit a LOT from going
to at least a basic SMP system. It doesn't cost that much once you
factor in other hardware costs like RAID, and I've just had it bought
home to me today how much it benefits the system's ability to handle
high load and runaway processes. The responsiveness improvement is
amazing, too.

So ... if anybody has been considering whether dual processor is really
worthwhile in their servers, you have my strong advice to go for it.

Craig Ringer