[plug] Grub and RAID-1

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Sep 8 12:24:12 WST 2003

G'day all,

Calling all GRUB guru's....

Setting up a box here with mirrored 120GB drives. I used to do this with
lilo, and it was clever enough to sort it all out pretty automaticly.

I found a howto somewhere on the net and followed it, but when I unplug
hda and fire it up, I just get a grub error message telling me it's
misconfigured.

My /boot/grub/menu.conf

default         2
fallback        3

timeout         2

color cyan/blue white/blue

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4 root=/dev/hda1 ro
savedefault

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 (recovery mode)
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4 root=/dev/hda1 ro single
savedefault

title           2.4.22 (hda)
kernel (hd0,0)/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage root=/dev/md0

title           2.4.22 (hdc)
Kernel (hd1,0)/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage root=/dev/md0

My /boot/grub/device.map

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/hda
(hd1)   /dev/hdc

I set grub up with a grub-install, then ran grub

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd1)

as per the howto, and it boot's fine off hda, but when hda is unplugged,
I can't get it to boot off hdc. The bios will do it, but I have
misconfigured grub somewhere.

Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Brad